TIPS For Managing Sensations that are too much
If you feel too much stress inside, you can try the following to help come back to your Resilient Zone. Some will work better for you than others. So, use the one(s) that fit the best for you.
1. Open your eyes if they have a tendency to shut
2. Drink a glass of water
3. Look around the room or wherever you are, paying attention to anything that catches your attention
4. Name six colors you see in the room (or outside)
5. Count backwards from 10 as you walk around the room
6. If you’re inside, notice the furniture, and touch the surface, noticing if it is hard, soft, rough, etc…
7. Notice the temperature in the room
8. Notice the sounds within the room and outside
9. If you’re outside or inside, walk and pay attention to the movement in your arms and legs and how your feet are making contact with the ground.
10. Push your hands against the wall or door slowly and notice your muscles pushing.
Call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 offers immediate help for people in crisis.