TIPS For Managing Sensations that are too much
If you feel too much stress inside, you can try the following to help come back to your Resilient Zone. Some will work better for you than others. So, use the one(s) that fit the best for you.
1. Drink a glass of water or juice.
2. If you are outside, touch the surface of something in nature...grass, a tree...water...whatever is in the environment.
3. Look around the room or wherever you are, paying attention to anything that catches your attention
4. Name six colors you see in the space that you are in ouside or inside
5. Count backwards from 20 as you walk around the room
6. If you're inside, notice the furniture, and touch the surface, noticing if it is hard, soft, rough, etc.
7. Notice the temperature in the soace,is it cold, warm, hot, just right?
8. Notice the sounds within the space, inside or outside
9. If you're outside or inside, walk and pay attention to the movement in your arms and legs and how your feet are making contact with the ground.
10. Push your hands against the wall or door slowly and notice your muscles pushing or push your back against a surface (wall, tree, etc)and notice your back and legs making contact with the surface.
Call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 offers immediate help for people in crisis.